Subject: Re: NetBSD poster
To: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/21/2003 11:56:59
Bernd Sieker wrote:
> On 21.02.03, 18:27:57, Thomas Runge wrote:
>
>>My girl friend reworked our poster and I find it quite a
>>big improvement over the "old" one.
>
> Quite nice!
>
> I'm not sure I understand what the squares acress the images mean, I
> find them rather distracting.

I like the intention (art, don't you know :), but I think they would be more
effective as a small decorative border effect around the images.

> Was there any particular reason for choosing such this red as the
> background color? The predominant color on the NetBSD web site is blue

NetBSD is red.  FreeBSD is blue, and OpenBSD is yellow.  ;^)

Actually, I have always thought red to be the color of BSD (it's the color of
the BSD 4.4 Internals book, and the color of pre-Wasabi NetBSD cdroms, not to
mention the skin color of our mascot).  As such, it serves to hint that NetBSD
is 'closer' to the source than the other BSDs (whether true or not anymore-- I
might be crossing the line into marketing, here).

Also, it's really effective when you're in a busy Expo filled with people.
Red grabs your attention, and screams out 'BSD' to me.  A white placard gets
lost (though it is cheaper to print).

>>--
>>Tom

Dave