Subject: Re: How many people use NetBSD
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/02/2002 09:16:28
> --- Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu> wrote:
> > departments.  The EECS department *did* have an
> > Alpha server running
> > FreeBSD for a time; I can only assume that they
> > chose FreeBSD over NetBSD
> > for SMP, but no one ever said in my hearing.)
>
> I thought that FreeBSD only ran on single processor
> Alpha machines? Maybe I'm wrong...

Hm...I don't even know for sure that their Alpha was an MP system, but
assumed that SMP was the most likely explanation.  Perhaps they were
banking on earlier (or more robust/mature/fine-grained) SMP from FreeBSD
than NetBSD.

But, that's all just a guess.  I don't know enough about FreeBSD or the
Alpha to say if that's a plausible rationale, whether there might be other
rationales, or what those other rationales might be.  (^&