Subject: Re: NetBSD used in SuSE 8.0
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 08/17/2002 11:38:27
--- Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org> wrote:

http://www.suse.de/us/private/support/howto/secure_webserv/#lisec

> > If you do not trust Linux, have a look at OpenBSD
> [5].
> > A few years ago the NetBSD distribution was
> checked
> > for security problems line for line. More than 10
> > programmers are busy searching for security
> problems.
> > A comparison of the amount and quality of messages
> > regarding security problems under Unix (and of
> course
> > Windows) variants reveals that OpenBSD is the
> > undisputed winner.
>
> '...have a look at _Open_BSD. [...] the _Net_BSD
> distribution [...]
> reveals that _Open_BSD is the undisputed Winner.'
>
> Am I the only one having trouble parsing this?
>
> > The snag? For one thing, the amount
> > of software. The complete OpenBSD software does
> not
> > even fill on CD.
>
> s/on/one/ I reckon...

Parsing... Yeah, I mentioned something about it
flaming up NetBSD types... Can't really dispute Theo's
goal of a secure operating system though, and it being
based on NetBSD is a tip of the hat in my book. Not
that we're necessarily insecure...

(Yes I do know the political story of the split but I
don't do politics.)

Point I'm trying to make is that SuSE does NOT have to
put stuff like this on their site, but they do and I
appreciate it. That's why I use their OS. I have even
bought it a few times. They also employ lots of KDE
people, which is my favorite desktop. There's another
reason I use them.

At home of course, it will always be NetBSD.

Andy