Subject: linux [was: Re: NetBSD used in SuSE 8.0]
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 08/17/2002 16:51:52
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Not to turn this _NetBSD_-advocacy list into a Linux-advocacy list, but
> I've found SuSE not to be any better than other Linuxen.  I've briefly
> toyed with Gentoo, and that looked more promising.  If _I_ have to use
> Linux, I use Debian.

While we're at that topic:

I'm looking at a few Linux distribs @work right now, as we will have to
get a replacement for Sun's discontinued Solaris/x86 sooner or later.
As we need Oracle, NetBSD isn't an option.

What I wonder is:
I'd like to have a distrib that allows decentral software management
of "applications", e.g. what you  can do with NFS-mounting /usr/pkg (and
/var/db/pkg and maybe /usr/X11R6) in NetBSD. Are there any distributions
that don't throw their files all over the file system? (I have only looked
at SuSE so far as it's very popular around here, but doesn't fit into that
need).

Any advice welcome. :)

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html