Subject: Re: NetBSD Daemon (fwd)
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 05/10/2002 23:33:31
Finally, I managed to see the image (bsdmall's page wasn't loading for me
yesterday or today...I was composing an email to Chris asking if he could
MIME-attach it when the page finally came up...).

The image is well-executed, though (IMHO) it has almost nothing to do with
NetBSD other than: It's a daemon, and (for those who already *know* about
NetBSD and the semi-running-joke about porting to your
refrigerator/toaster/wristwatch) the toaster is an oblique reference to
portability.  (Of course, it could also be a peripheral that NetBSD is
talking to; a USB interface to a toaster would be an equally oblique
reference to NetBSD being the first free OS to provide USB support.
*That* might mean more to the average person than NetBSD's
portability...(^&)

I.e., I don't think that it's suitable (whether or not people like it) as
a first-impression type of image for NetBSD, which is one of the functions
of the image on the NetBSD homeage.

I also agree that the horn is too low and comes off looking like a weird
ear, but that's just a personal opinion.  (^&

(P.S., is there a typo on the bsdmall NetBSD.html page?  You have the
1.5.3 CD ``regular price'' of $30, and ``sale price'' of $29.50.  A $0.50
discount is a discount, granted, but...it seems a bit odd to have a 1/60
discount in a sale price.  (^&)