Subject: Re: xmms, kDE
To: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/02/2002 19:09:56
> > One program that I turned up was XMMS (/usr/pkgsrc/audio/xmms).  I'm not
> > sure if it supports playing live material from the 'net, but it's a cool
>
> It does indeed support streaming from the net, and it does it very well.
> Many times better than mpg123 manages it, at least.

I couldn't get it to work when trying to play some sample URL's from NPR's
(National Public Radio here in the U.S., for those who don't know) site.
(They had two formats, one of which XMMS would at least list in its
playlist, but ``playing'' that only caused a very brief burst of network
exchange and no sound.)

Could you suggest a URL to supply to XMMS?  Maybe by comparing a working
URL, I can see if my problems are pilot-error...

> It also supports remote control via an IRman, although last time I looked,
> the irman plugin was broken in pkgsrc. This worked beautifully on FreeBSD,

I can't find IRman with locate.  But, then, my pkgsrc is from ~March 1.

> allowing pretty much any standard TV, video or hi-fi remote control access
> to almost all of xmms' features.

I assume that you need some kind of special sensor on the computer.  (Or
does this use the IR interface that some laptops have?)  Although it's
kind of academic anyway, since I don't actually have any such remotes.
(^&

(Hm.  But if IRman could work in reverse as well, letting an IR interface
on a laptop operate as a universal remote for stereos, TV's, etc...that
could be interesting.  (^&)