Subject: Re: Unix bashing by Microsoft, who uses Unix?
To: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/01/2002 19:23:37
Roland Dowdeswell said:

>Yes.  Look at the IP addresses, they're different.  The IIS server
>is 130.94.214.143 and the FreeBSD one is 198.63.57.204.  So, either
>someone fooled netcraft or they saw the article and took action.
>They are both still up and displaying the same pages...

They are both in Verio datacenters. The FreeBSD box is in Virginia and
the Windoze box is in California.

It's all very silly. You can get UnixWare V7 or Open UNIX 8 for the ES7000
and the other Unisys boxes. The bottom line is that Unisys just isn't
selling very many machines, and Microsoft wants to sell $100000 Windows 2000
datacenter licenses. Since the isn't a standard "Wintel" box, there was
probably a fair amount of development money spent. The top of the line ES7000
is $1000000+. I'd hate to get NIMDA virus on a box like that.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com