Subject: Re: Permission to use the NetBSD logo
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/13/2002 16:24:56
> > Well, perhaps a better logo then would be a swastika. After all, with
 [...]
> Swastika
>
>  Swastika is derived from su (well), asti (is) and ka (a noun ending). It
 [...]

Interesting.  (^&

But, things gain or lose connotations over time.  It's like the moustache
that Charlie Chaplin had.  Hitler kind of killed the idea of anyone
growing a moustache line that.

> > Why not use a giant mushroom cloud and the word "Nagasaki" with an
> > arrow pointing to the base? The current image is a level of
> > abstraction beyond that, sure, but with the war still pretty fresh
> > even a generation later, reminding them that we were the ones who
> > horribly mangled their relatives doesn't seem very "nice" to
> > me--political correctness or no.
>
> i've *never* seen any of japanese NetBSD developers (and there are quite
> a lot of them) complaining about the logo. isn't it interesting?

This is another interesting point which has crossed my mind.  Of course,
the sampling method isn't legitimate.  (Feynman once gave an example of
this by coming into a lecture.  He announced that he'd seen a certain
number on a license plate in the parking lot.  What are the chances of
that number being seen, he asked.  (Of course, there was nothing
significant, a' priori about the plate.  He just picked a car that he saw
and used its number for his purposes.))

It would be interesting to know at least whether the similarity to the Iwo
Jima photo is recognized (or indeed, if the photo itself is known) in
other parts of the world.