Subject: Re: Permission to use the NetBSD logo
To: sudog <sudog@sudog.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/13/2002 16:09:27
> > "political correctness" is always the wrong reason to do something.  If
> > your goal is to offend 0 people, then you might as well just stay in bed.
>
> Well, perhaps a better logo then would be a swastika. After all, with that

I'm not sure that this deserves a response.  The image that we have
represents several aspects of NetBSD.  I am not aware of any aspects of
NetBSD that a swastika would represent.

> I happen to agree (now that I know about it) that basing an image on one
> associated with conquering a nation isn't particularly Good.

I don't really make that association at all.  To the extent that I
associate the original *photo* at all with war, it simply represents a
branch of the military, its soldiers working together in support of their
country.

The image that is on the NetBSD homepage is simply one that represents
some aspects of NetBSD, and it mimics a well-known photo.

Do you know of anyone who's offended?

Is it possible that *we* can see Iwo Jima's flag-planting there, but that
other people wouldn't make that association at all because the image is
peculiar to our culture?  (Bear in mind that one or two people, presumably
US citizens, have confessed to never making that connection until it was
pointed out to them.  How easy is it for someone who *hasn't* grown up in
the US to see the relation?  Or do they have similar icons in their own
culture such that the image reminds them of something else other than Iwo
Jima?  Do they even know that Iwo Jima was fought over in WWII?  How many
battles and islands from WWII can you name?)

I think that the image, like an abused trademark, has lost it's implicit
context.  It's not about WWII, or battle; it stands on its own.  And the
NetBSD echo of it doesn't even feature any particular nationalism (though
the use of English on the bannor is ethnocentric).

> >  >  * Inasmuch as I am any judge, the imagery suggests the BSD tradition.
> >  >    (Cartoony daemons with forks.)
> >
> > I like the above. What I find amusing is that almost none of those ideas
> > were present when the logo was drawn in the pub over a few guiness...
>
> Cartoony daemons with forks is nice... Personally I'd prefer something
> more along the lines of Tijai's most incredible:
>
> Badass Daemon!!
> http://www.magnamana.com/imagecontest/Realsoft3Dsite/2001annualrunnerup1.htm

This image doesn't suggest any of NetBSD's qualities to me.  The creature
is ugly and baroque (I'm sure that that was the creator's intention).  It
looks nasty, contancerous, spiteful, and probably would contradict you
just to be contrary.  If I were to associate it with an OS, I could
probably name one, but it wouldn't be NetBSD.  (^&

> Cute and cuddly just doesn't do it for me. I want a badass on my desktop!!

Recall that BSD came from California, dude.  (^&

Besides, the cartoonish BSD Daemons on the NetBSD home page are not cute
and cuddly.  Though they look a good deal more amicable than the
"Creature" image.  I don't mind thinking of my computers as amicable.
They do what I want for the most part, and I try to keep them happy with
power, parts, and network connections.  (^&  They don't sulk in a corner,
ready to lash out at me, and they don't do any of the other things that
that "creature" looks like it would do if you gave it half a chance.