Subject: Re: NetBSD on non-MMU systems???
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/07/2002 16:20:45
Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca> writes:
> Well, adding an MMU will add about an extra (US)$20 to the cost of
> an embedded system.

Dunno about that. I know of full processors with MMUs going for much
less than that now, and entire SoCs going for $30.

> What I would really like to know is what steps are neccessary
> to put together a NetBSD port for small non-MMU systems, like
> Samsung-ARM.  And I would like to know if there is any existing
> work that someone might have done in on this in the past, that
> might help.  Thing of these as a feasibility study to estimate
> how much work in involved and what is need for a NetBSD non-MMU
> port.

It is probably quite possible. A number of people have looked at the
problem and have ideas. However, I'd suggest the place to discuss it
is tech-kern.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com