To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/08/2001 23:10:18
I do think Enon has a point.  It's true, you -can't- determine if what
you're adding to the kernel is safe.  (I suppose you could run the code
in a vmware penalty-box and trap its operation, or maybe use some kind of
code analyzer, but that is going to the extreme.)

Windows reliability has been crappy because the h/w manufacturers
usually did a lousy job of driver writing, and plugging that stuff into
windows often causes windows to be unreliable.  To combat this, Winxp now
uses signed drivers.

Nobody is suggesting that somehow 3rd party drivers are evil and they
are buggy and they are trying to bring down the system or be some kind
of clandestine FBI data-collector, or ....

...but you can't know (unless you're willing to go to extremes, as mentioned
above).

As for announcements, I don't see how they hurt, tho.

-Mike