Subject: Re: *BSD Counter Project
To: None <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
From: None <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/04/2001 16:10:12

>On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 02:27:10PM -0400, Bob Bernstein wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 10:44:48AM -0700, Josef Grosch wrote:
>>
>> > Please read the the FAQ to understand why the count of FreeBSD users
>> > is so much larger than any other BSD.
>>
>> I read the FAQ. It explains "why" but it doesn't explain the reasons
>> for not starting all the counters at zero.
>>
>> A child could see that your data is hopelessly skewed.
>
>I did start the counters at zero. The current count represents people who
>have declared themselves to be a user of a given OS or a mix of OSs.

"I'll set all the counters to zero and then fill in OS data for everything
initially based on data that only measures FreeBSD counts.". Yep, I'd say
that about sums it up. It's fairly obvious to anyone looking at this that's
it's skewed heavily in one direction arbitrarily. To claim otherwise (and
expect anyone to beleive it) is ridiculous.

James