Subject: Can you help us to get NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Previ_=5BY!=5D=AE?= <previ_pc@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/01/2001 23:25:21
Hi,
 We are a bunch(currently 17) of folks learning and help
others to learn Unix using mainly hardware thrown out by others
like foreign software companies here in India. So far we have
been using RedHat Linux as it is available cheaply with computer
magazines. But we think it is not a very good Unix system as a
whole. From certain man pages and other documentation from the
RedHat we happened to hear about the BSDs and visited some related
sites like netbsd.org. We think due to the portability of
netbsd, it may well suit our purposes as there is  sparc and
m68k based second hand systems available from foreign comapnies
very cheaply.

    Unfortunately we can't get netbsd or any bsd locally.
Local computer magazines don't heed our requests and some of
them say there are simply not enough demand from their readers.
Downloading is simply not practicable with a pathetic internet
infrastructure and implementation, and poor quality phone lines
where connection speed is 26400max. Also there aren't any local
mirrors, the nearest mirror being in Australia which is at least
1500milliseconds away.

    We request that somebody sponsor us a netbsd CDROM so we also
can join the community and help others to discover about a really
good alternative when Windows crash ruthlessly on them.

Thank you so much

Preveen P.

About us:
    We are a 17 member(growing;-), aged from late teens to thirties
people, with i386pcs (max config is amd k6-2 400MHz, 64MB).

    We think embrasing of now cheaply available computing
technology without properly understanding the intricacies
involved would lead to disastrous results.

    Our main objective is to understand the innerworkings of
internet and issues associated with it like security.