Subject: Re: Comdex post-mortem
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/08/2001 20:48:31
Hi,

On 8 Apr 2001, at 10:24, sudog@sudog.com wrote:

> I say, who cares if Wasabi is associated with NetBSD? Aren't the
> licencing terms of NetBSD "Hey go ahead. Take the code. Do whatever
> you want with it." I thought that BSD-type "advertising" clause was
> removed a long time ago?

Do whatever you want with the *code*! Not with the name. You can
say something is based on NetBSD, but not it *is* NetBSD. At least
in Austria (and I think in Germany and the rest of the EU too)  that
was illegal. If you change the code at least some additions to the
name must be added, like "The NetBSD Firewall Project" or
something like "Tom=B4s NetBSD", "Wasabi NetBSD".

> Still, where's the harm in it?

If someone (mass)published CDs as NetBSD loaded with trojans or
added insecure code, nonworking installers. That way NetBSDs
excellent reputation was demaged. Or imagine NetBSD CDs with
nazi insignia printed on them. Or someone put code on the CDs that
violated copyrights, or is against export restrictions, that would give
legal trouble and bad reputation.

mike