Subject: Re: Comdex post-mortem
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/08/2001 13:44:59
I'm obviously not a disinterested party, but I'm not speaking
(nor can I speak) for Wasabi...

What if Wasabi (or Wind River ;-), or Telenet, or IBM, or whomever)
were to foot part of the cost of the CD production (or other costs)
in exchange for official thanks and a 1-page blurb in the CD (or
whatever)?  Basically, "CD production sponsored by Company X" on the
cover ("Presence supported by Company Y" in the booth, whatever).  As
a NetBSD developer and advocate, I would support this.  IMO, this helps
the project by showing that there is commercial support in at least
some sense while also implying that the organization is independent
of that support.  It also advertises the support (and existence) of
the companies in question.  While I am, by nature, suspicious of
corporate sponsorship, this seems to be a win-win situation.

I'm sure that if the TNF board (I think that's the responsible
party/group here) can set some parameters for the sponsorship,
Perry (and anyone else for whom promotion of NetBSD would be a
Good Thing) would be amenable to working within that framework.
If it can be shown that it's mutually beneficial.  This, of
course, requires some vigilance and action from the TNF board,
but that's obviously (I think ;-) in their best interest (and
yours).

If there isn't a framework, then proposals, counter-proposals, etc.
eventually fall into he-said/she-said (or he-said/he-said ;-) airing
of dirty laundry in public fora.

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD dev. for _your_ Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SH3, Sparc, x86, etc...