Subject: Re: BSD license: seek ammunition
To: ep71 <ep71@bcs.org.uk>
From: Brian Russo <brusso@phys.hawaii.edu>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/05/2001 10:46:17
On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 01:48:31PM +0100, ep71 wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2001, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
>
> > How would you/your boss/your company feel if somebody took the work
> > you did, made it into a commercial product "on its own," then started
> > selling it for $$ and not giving away the sources to the work you did
> > (or similar)?
>
> It wouldn't worry me in the slightest, but my boss might feel differently.
> I'll have to ask him.  :)
>
> Can I take it that everyone is happy about the range of licences under
> which VMs for Java are now available?  (Sun's licence, GPL (Kaffe))?

Sun's licence
(riotous laughter ensues) - If you can call that a license,
actually read it?

Kaffe's.. incomplete, what more to say?
I have no problem with the license though.

..

(was a separate subthread I know, but I'll save the extra email,
and will try to keep this short - honest)

the question 'why have bsd when theres lgpl' was raised.

basically..

bsd  - do whatever you want,
       modify/distribute/sell/relicense it/whatever
	   -- we don't care, because we already have the code.

lgpl - your sekret code can link to it, but our code
       stays open, and any changes will be open/free,
	   -- 'help the community'.

which side you bend towards.. is irrelevant in the context
of merely examining them.

so, theres quite a big difference here,
lgpl is the 'lesser' gpl, remember the idea
behind gpl is the 'code will be free', this is where you get
most of those people who come along and say
'well bsd is more free, i can do what i want with the code,
but gpl code cant be used in proprietary'

I chalk this up to the ambiguities of language.
i.e. is the code free or is the user of the code free?

yadda yadda, you should be able to see where im headed with this
so i won't go the distance

 - bri, wondering how OT he ranted.

--
Brian Russo      <brusso@phys.hawaii.edu>