Subject: Re: BSD vs. LGPL [was: Re: BSD license: seek ammunition]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/29/2001 14:39:56

	http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/lesser.html

> Or rather, where/how is BSD different from LGPL?

Read for yourself.  The LGPL says a lot more (or, a little more in
many more words, depending on your point of view 8-), and is more
restrictive.

Software licensing is an important issue, that software developers
should take the time to understand.  A lot of people don't bother to
understand the issues, or reasons why one might want to use a
particular software license, and simply pick one without thinking.

The license used to distribute software should fit the business and
personal desires of the company or person who wrote the software.

The point is, when figuring out what terms you're going to use to
distribute software, you've gotta see what the goals you have related
to the software and its distribution.  Then you've gotta look at the
existing licenses that are out there that you can use.  And maybe you
decide to use one, or maybe you decide to go a different way.

The BSD-ish license and the GPL are two points in a continuum.  To
consider only those two is short-sighted.

Interested parties might look at:

	http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/license-list.html

It shows some more of the points, at least.

cgd