Subject: Re: X-Box and PS2 port candidacy
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: None <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/14/2001 12:58:14
Hi,

> What a foolish idea.  Why would anyone want to use working
> thread libraries, Mesa GL, and first-rate compilers in a proven
> embedded operating system that runs on all the major game
> consoles and all the major ``desktop'' computers, when the
> person could simply write their own version of these things, and
> write them repeadedly, once for each proprietary console, and
> twice again for Mac and PeeCee?

That is true, except that some of the console APIs will give the
use more power than the limitations of OpenGL, threads and the
compilers.  Don't forget that OpenGL wasn't designed for gamers
use in the first place.  You try writing decent flare effects in
OpenGL that actually look nice!  OpenGL is way too low level
compared to most APIs too as some will support proper translation
math (ie DirectX).  Now I never understood 3d matrice math so if
the code does it for me I don't care.

> seriously now, it seems there is a gigantic financial incentive
> for console companies to prevent NetBSD from creating a port to
> their hardware, and the price of their success is passed directly
> onto their customers in the form of more expensive games that
> bear the ``Sony Tax.''

Err, mine *would* bear the TDK 74 minute CDR tax ;)

Disclaimer: But as I don't own a console, I wouldnt ever have to
do that for me, and I never done that with any software forestand
relating to ["non"|""]consoles either ;)  That was vague enough
for me without lying ;)

> so, it's war.  Any ideas on how to insure that we win and they
> lose?

<Government Health Warning: Severe Sarcastic Cynicism ahead!>

You need to stop fighting their principles, and join in the same
FUD wars such as using S*ny style adverts and hype:-

1/      ** BUY NETBSD TODAY OR EVERYONE ELSE WILL **
       ** THINK YOU ARE INADEQUATE AND YOU WILL DIE **
              ** DUE TO LACK OF POPULARITY **

2/      ** NETBSD WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE AND YOU WILL **
         ** GET LOTS OF SHAGS IF YOU USE IT AND BUY **
               ** SOFTWARE FOR IT FROM _US_ **

Neither of these are true (i wish #2 was ;) but they sell stuff
and you could erode their market share, consequently pissing them
right off and probably then landing yourself a nice lawsuit due
to some obscure licensing complication they made you sign when
you bought it.

</Cynicism>

Personally, I say we all ignore PS2 totally and don't buy one.
It'll hurt Sony more than porting NetBSD will plus the hardware
sucks pretty badly compared to a reasonable PC.  I hope the X
box kills Sony, then shoots itself in the foot after the hype
has died off.  Consoles are disposable computers.  I dont like
that throw away principle!

- Chris.