Subject: Re: BSD Strains
To: None <atatat@atatdot.net, benf@nexgen.com>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/08/2001 15:02:08
> From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
>:::
> the differences:
>
>  * freebsd has historically been centered mostly on i386 based
>    machines, although this is no longer the case.
>  * netbsd has portability as its main focus, targeting code at
>    platform independence and not just a single architecture.
>  * openbsd focuses more on security.

I know these three lines have been repeated over and over. I'm not sure
they were ever true, and I am sure they aren't now.

I don't think NetBSD "focuses" on portability, we just call things that
only run on one platform "bugs", and filter them out eventually. All the
BSD's care about security, and EACH ONE has had security holes that were
not in one or more of the others, which kind of waters down the argument
that any one is more secure.

Also, a system that doesn't do what you need isn't secure if you have to
run something else to get your mission accomplished. I would look a little
deeper to find differences ...

	--Ross