Subject: Re: BSD, MIDI and high-end sound cards? (and a letter about BSD)
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Zach Fine <zach@xdsl014.serv.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/08/2001 09:42:11
There are a bunch of fairly high-end cards out now for the home studio
that support a more limited range of features but still do many tracks
of simultaneous 24-bit, 96Khz audio with excellent S/N, the Echo
Darla-24 comes to mind (lacks optical and XLR, retail $399), and they
and others have new cards planned.

There are some good sound card tests at
http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/index.htm

According to these benchmarks, the cards designed for gaming do not
measure up to the quality of those made for home studio use, which
isn't too surprising IMO. I don't know if any of the non-gaming cards
is supported on NetBSD. I'd be happy if I could do audio work on my
NetBSD box, but for the time being I'll stick with my mac for that and
for video editing.

-Zach Fine
czyz@serv.net