Subject: Re: BSD, MIDI and high-end sound cards? (and a letter about BSD)
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/07/2001 22:38:24
> With any true multi-tasking OS, unless the kernel is tweaked for real-
> time applications, you may run into some latency problems while running
> your MIDI.
>
> # Do the BSDs offer MIDI support for the "serious MIDI user"[2]?
>
> Well, we support MIDI.  I don't know how serious you're talking here.

Reading further in a previous DDJ issue, the author (who wants MIDI
applications) is a MIDI developer who uses the Windows' control panel MIDI
Mapper applet (whatever that is) and he wrote a couple (Windows') MIDI
applications like Midifitz and Jukebox. So I guess my question should be:

Do the BSDs offer enough MIDI support for a MIDI developer accustomed to
MIDI on a Windows' box?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/