Subject: Re: BSD, MIDI and high-end sound cards? (and a letter about BSD)
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/07/2001 22:24:39
On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

# I just read an article in April's (2001) Dr. Dobb's Journal about Linux.
# It said: "the only viable alternative to using Windows on the x86 platform
# is Linux". The author didn't explain "viable", but did share a few of his
# Linux goals and needs, which included: "I need at least one good machine
# with a high-end sound card for MIDI and audio applications."
#
# Sound works great on my NetBSD/i386-based desktop, but I don't know
# anything about high-end sound cards. What are some examples of "high-end"
# sound cards?

SBLive! 64 or 128; Aria (Turtle Beach/Montego), Yamaha PCI, likely others.

# Do the BSDs support "high-end" sound cards?

No(t yet).

# Also, I have read about troubles with MIDI under BSD[1] (and Linux), but I
# also know that the BSDs do have kernel and software (like timidity) MIDI
# support. I don't know much about MIDI.

With any true multi-tasking OS, unless the kernel is tweaked for real-
time applications, you may run into some latency problems while running
your MIDI.

# Do the BSDs offer MIDI support for the "serious MIDI user"[2]?

Well, we support MIDI.  I don't know how serious you're talking here.

# Also, I am looking for some people to review my "letter to the (DDJ)
# editor". This letter says there are other alternatives and quickly
# explains a few important and interesting facts about BSD. If you are
# interested in reading and providing feedback on my letter (before I mail
# it), please send me an email off-list.
#

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: My Computer Works!