Subject: Re: Why did NetBSD and FreeBSD diverge?
To: Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/18/2001 00:14:03
On Wednesday, 17 January 2001 at 15:36:06 -0500, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:52:44 +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
>
>>> What I never understood is why "officially" they don't coperate more with
>>> each other. I believe that unoficially some of the developers
>>> work/help/contribute to more than one of the BSDs.
>>
>> Lots of the developers work on more than one BSD.  What would you like
>> to see in order to make that 'official'?
>
> A list, even if minimal, of things which the "architects" (i.e.
> core on FreeBSD, don't know it's equivalent on NetBSD)

The NetBSD core group.  But, like the FreeBSD core team, they're not
the architects.  The committers are the architects.

> agreed to at least consider the other OS. I am not saying they
> should consult each other for everything, but they could at least
> keep in other in mind that would be great.

Well, I agree with Nik that things are getting a lot closer.  But I
think that the way to come closer together is for the individual
subprojects to work together.  And I think that's happening.

Greg