Subject: Re: Someone please flame TwoCows
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/07/2001 11:46:01
On Saturday,  6 January 2001 at  0:28:53 -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jan 2001 hubert@feyrer.de wrote:
>
>> ... for this: http://bsd.tucows.com/conhtml/preview/74141.html
>
> Besides the article's several problems (wrong license, license link URL is
> bad, download calls NetBSD a "FreeBSD Version", and various other
> misunderstandings), the review says it easily installs under i386, "but on
> many of the other platforms you have to set it up manually to boot from
> another machine." Is this true ("many")?
>
> How many is "many"?
>
> Or do several other ports install the same as i386 or just as easy?
>
> Any examples?
>
> Also I am curious about the statement about FreeBSD being "more user
> friendly"; does anyone have any examples on why someone may feel FreeBSD
> may be more user-friendly?
>
> I may write an editorial about this for BSD Today. Feel free to send me
> any thoughts on any points that I should cover.
>
> Even with all the misunderstandings, this review does give some valuable
> feedback.

Indeed.  If you have the energy, you should write back to the author
and point out the factual errors.  "Ease of installation" isn't
factual, it's subjective.  I also think that you don't want this to
look like "we're NetBSD, we're better than those other BSDs", but
rather "we're BSD, thanks for your articles, but there are some
errors in detail".

Greg