Subject: Re: Favourable Mention by Fred Moody
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 08/03/2000 21:59:14
> Yes, people will go on about how less popular systems are less
> tested, but there's still no question in my mind that less popular
> means that it not only looks more secure, but _is_ more secure.

This kind of security through obscurity argument is self-defeating.
If NetBSD becomes more popular because fewer script writers target it
because it's so popular, then it will stop being such an unattractive
target.

The Fred Moody article was terrible, mostly because it failed to
consider that such a large number exploits against Windows were
discovered in spite it being a closed-source system.  Let's not
compound the article's errors through more bad reasoning.