Subject: Re: helping Linux users switch to NetBSD
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Bolo <bolo@cs.wisc.edu>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/27/2000 20:45:22
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Eduardo Horvath wrote:
> > This would be best handled with the automounter.  We are shipping sample
> > automounter maps in /usr/share/examples/amd.  I propose we move them into
> > /etc so when you enable amd everything just works instead of having to
> > muck with config files.  Since amd defaults to off, it isn't a security
> > hole until amd is explicitly turned on.
>
> Right, and as soon as someone turns it on, it may do things he does'nt
> want, and that he doesn't even know about.  Moving the files from
> share/examples/amd to /etc/amd, but disabling them in etc/amd/master would
> be ok IMHO.

A few points to note ...  One bad side effect of this is that the
files in share/examples/amd are just that ... examples that working
files can be made from.  If the files are installed,  it is likely
that the files will be edited in place.  Once that happens, upgrades
need to know enough to save those files, or they will be wiped out.
Moving the examples also has the tendency to not make them examples
any more, since you just can't diff stuff against the examples,
for example.  Also, the sharing of the examples just dropped to 0.

The other big effect of going something like this is that it makes
it even less likely for a person to actually examine the contents
of a file before blindly enabling it.  Certainly, there are people
who will always do that, but there are a lot of others that the
"Hey! You!  Think about it!" method will actually  ... make them
think!

Bolo -- Josef T. Burger