Subject: Re: helping Linux users switch to NetBSD
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/27/2000 09:13:54
On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Todd Whitesel wrote:

> User Whine #2. "how do I enable normal user mounting of /cdrom and /floppy ?"
>
> Since those are public mount points, you really want to use a group instead
> of a single userid to authenticate the mounting. Tonight I tried to enable
> mounting for anyone in group 'wheel' but 1.4.1 didn't want to do it. I don't
> normally do this but that's mainly because I'm lazy and never pursued it.
> Maybe 'sudo' is TRT for this, and we should do more to help people install
> and use it.

This would be best handled with the automounter.  We are shipping sample
automounter maps in /usr/share/examples/amd.  I propose we move them into
/etc so when you enable amd everything just works instead of having to
muck with config files.  Since amd defaults to off, it isn't a security
hole until amd is explicitly turned on.

Eduardo Horvath