Subject: Re: *BSD cooperation...
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/23/2000 18:31:16
In message <3903A120.7661.7A74A11@localhost>, "Thomas Michael Wanka" writes:
>according to benchmarks published in ix (ix is a german unix focused
>computer magazine) the 2.2.x kernels of linux are less than about 10 - 15%
>less scalable on multiple cpu´s (tested on 4 and 8 way x86 cpu machines)
>than solaris and SCO´s unixes, I will check for the exact numbers, these tests
>are based on benchmarks like the spec suite. I can remember an article in
>daemonnews that said, FreeBSD was about 19% faster than Linux (do not
>know which kernel freeBSD was compared to and the testsuite). The way I
>interpreted that (may be wrong), the gap between commercial unixes and
>FreeBSD/Linux is only marginal.

Yeah, and BSD/OS gets pretty good results on giant-lock SMP too, but we're
not trying to pretend it's the right thing to do, it's just a step on that
road.  Fine-grained SMP is being worked on, because it will perform a lot
better.

(I won't say anything about FreeBSD, but BSD/OS still has serious engineering
talent, and they are making a lot of the decisions...)

-s