Subject: Re: *BSD cooperation...
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/23/2000 00:56:16
In message <20000423073937.D18879@gnyf.wheel.dk>, "Soren S. Jorvang" writes:
>On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 12:02:04AM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
>> towards a bit of cooperation with NetBSD folks.  I'd love to get feedback on
>> things that BSDi could do that might be seen as useful.

>Give the code that is available to FreeBSD for integration to us as well.

To the best of my knowledge, I can do that right now:

--- cut here ---
--- cut here ---

The amount of code available may change... But, remember, FreeBSD *is staying
free*.  That means that, if they get BSDi's fine-grained SMP with kernel
threads (note: this is not code that is finished yet), that code will be out
there in a BSD-licensed tree that it can be snagged from.

Anyway, the code-merge stuff is *NOT*, so far as I know, a live thing yet;
it's still being planned, discussed, and fussed over.  Companies don't move
as fast as small, agile, free software projects - and frankly, FreeBSD was
hardly "small" or "agile".  ;)

Anyway, I can point to BSD auth as a concrete example of code that was
freed and made available, and I know it's in there because I'm already relying
on the login.conf stuff to keep paths sane on my NetBSD boxes.

-s