Subject: Re: Speed comparison - NetBSD vs. Linux
To: None <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/11/2000 16:20:24
On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 09:24:20PM +0200, fission@mb.sympatico.ca wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a 486 computer with two NE2000 NICs running Linux right
> now that is a basic gateway/firewall running IP masquerading for
> a small (approx. 20 computers) network.
>
> I was wondering whether anyone has any speed comparisons between
> NetBSD and Linux.  Myself, being in the current process of
> "extracting myself" from the Linux world, am wondering how
> NetBSD would compare to Linux.

I don't have speed comparaisons because I've never used linux as a router :)
However I have a P200 acting as a filtering routers between 5 LANs and the
internet (with 5 PCI 100Mbs/s NICs and a 10Mbs ISA, the ISA one being used to
connect to a NetBSD/sparc IPC acting as a incoming telnet/ssh gateway),
I don't have performances problems with it.
More details at:
http://www2.fr.NetBSD.org/gallery/testimonial.html#manuel_bouyer