Subject: Re: Geek Appreciation Day (Boston)
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/03/2000 17:14:59
>Now, if we can do a skeletal runlevel implementation (i.e. we handle things
>as we do now:  We have a single-user runlevel and multi-user runlevel with
>the other levels to be filled in as needed), it probably won't be so bad.
>If we can do it *right*.  IF.  BIG - I say, BIG IF, there.

allow me to interject here for a second.  as far as i can
"pedantically" count them, we currently have four (er...five) run levels:

 a) single user
 b) multi user (which include networking and nfs stuff)
 c) hardware (or "press any key to reboot") [1]
 d) power off (for people for whom apm or whatever can turn the machine off)
 e) rebooting

 [1] do sparcs go to the ok prompt here?  i don't have one, so i don't
 know.

now...as far as i understand the solaris run levels (ick!) that's S or
s or 1, 2 or 3, 0, 5, and 6.  the distinction between 2 and 3 is
subtle and as far as solaris is concerned, 4 is not used, but rather
reserved for you to set up your own "alternate multi-user mode".

	solaris		our version
	0		above (c)
	1		above (a)
	2		above (b)
	3		above (b)
	4		???
	5		above (d)
	6		above (e)
	a b c		???
	Q q		# kill -1 1
	S s		above (a)

i never really understood the distinction between S (and s) and 1 in
solaris.  calling them different "run-levels" seems pedantic in and of
itself.

>The thing that offends my visual senses is seeing the Init: changing
>state messages, but I think that if it's sufficiently ADJUSTABLE!, then
>we can even make them more eye-pleasing (i reserve the right to have
>my init report:
>
>	Single-user mode.  Go away
>).
>
>I'll continue in a minute.

in the spirit of bsd...i think it's fair to say that you can do that
if you want to.  hey!  why not roll up some init patches to make it
spew the contents of various files at various "levels"?  :)

   printf("New run level: %ld\n", random());

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|