Subject: Geek Appreciation Day (Boston)
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@ghostpriest.rakis.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/31/2000 01:41:36
I recently got my NetBSD t-shirt from LinuxMall. Kicks ass. (Except it's too
large, I need to shrink it down some ; ). Along with the Scottgold badges I
am tricked out. : )
I should be at the Saturday part of Geek Appreciation day (or whatever
they're calling it) sporting my NetBSD t-shirt. God, I love NetBSD. My
fastest computer is 40mhz. I'm sitting here on a Mac Quadra 650 (33mhz of
pure power) running MacOS 8 (it did run NetBSD for a year or two) displaying
X from one of my NetBSD running SPARC Station IPXen. I have almost all the
computers in the house on the internet with IPNAT (ranging from an IPC
(albeit with memory problems) to an iBook connected to the lan with an
Airport (such a neat gadget)). NetBSD is dependable. NetBSD is beautiful.
There are no gross hacks. There are no idiotic 'features'. I can get an
esoteric and cheap computer (I'm an unemployed college dropout) and know
that there's an OS I know and love that will run on it. Reformatting my
200mb hd on the Quadra years ago (1.2?) and booting NetBSD was a bit of a
trial by fire, but that's half the fun! Learning so much so quickly was
exciting. Within days I had it online with dip, and then later I figured out
pppd and then I got a cable modem and used dhclient and I got more computers
and I setup IPNAT and so on and on. Now I sit on my lovely Mac looking at X
and I have part of my homedirectory mounted on the Mac with netatalk typing
this on my beautiful IPX running NetBSD 1.4.1 (I'll upgrade one of these
days, maybe when I move the machines to a different room). There are times
when I realize I could be in Linux hell with half baked support for non-x86
platforms, bazar code, and wanking myself to death over my 500mhz Pentium
III and how 31337 Linux is in general. These times I am thankful for NetBSD.
Thank you all of you for making such a wonderful thing.
--
-Simon Raahauge DeSantis