Subject: Re: Walnut Creek and BSDI merged
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/21/2000 08:59:34
On 19 Mar 2000, at 13:16, Greg Lehey wrote:

> One of the things that I really think would make sense would be to get
> all the BSDs and a handful of Linuces together at a virtual table and
> agree on userland layout.  It would be of benefit to all.  This is the
> kind of cooperation which does make sense, while maintaining (most of)
> the individuality of each project.

Hi,

that was great but at least as far as it comes to several Linux
distributions (I do not know too much about the other BSDs) it will
hardly become reality: the more known distributions differ in their
"userland" for good reasons (like security issues, ease of use, etc.),
they worked hard on their concepts and will hardly change them.

Indeed users were better off with some kind of standard layout but,
as far as it concerns the Linux distributions, that would make them
become exchangeable and thus they probably lost their market
shares.

And I guess if one started a discussion about the "ideal" userland
layout, there were too many different needs and wishes to get a
solution that satisfied all or even the majority. That many people -
that many opinions.

As I said, I would prefer a standardised environment, but who asks
me?

mike