Subject: Re: Walnut Creek and BSDI merged
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/13/2000 12:04:33
>>i expect programs to move eg, ping (/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin),
>>traceroute (solaris doesn't stock one), and other mild things (never
>>mind linux's netinet header files), but a /shlib directory was just
>>wacky.
>
>It's there so the binaries in / can use shared libs; it's a little weird
>at first, but it works pretty well.

i recognized that almost at once, but it still struck me as weird.  i
tend to think along the lines of "things in /sbin are completely
self-contained, using nor needing any external help".

>>and having two wildly different c compilers struck me as
>>bizarre.
>
>It was bizarre, and it's long gone.  'cc' is 'egcs'.

and is everything still build statically by default?

>Of course, they still have the weirdest shared library scheme I've ever
>seen; the system shared libs are shared, but are *NOT* dynamically linked,
>so they've got special magic to use maps.  You can use dynamic versions
>of 'em, but they recommend the static shared libs, because they're
>apparently faster.

oh...is *that* why everything i was building seemed to be ending up
static?  (whimper)

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|