Subject: Re: Walnut Creek and BSDI merged
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/12/2000 00:07:34
In message <20000312004759.A10422@noc.untraceable.net>, Andrew Brown writes:
>>standards.  They _are_ big enough.  (Need I even mention AIX?)
>i expect programs to move eg, ping (/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin),
>traceroute (solaris doesn't stock one), and other mild things (never
>mind linux's netinet header files), but a /shlib directory was just
>wacky.

It's there so the binaries in / can use shared libs; it's a little weird
at first, but it works pretty well.

>and having two wildly different c compilers struck me as
>bizarre.

It was bizarre, and it's long gone.  'cc' is 'egcs'.

Of course, they still have the weirdest shared library scheme I've ever
seen; the system shared libs are shared, but are *NOT* dynamically linked,
so they've got special magic to use maps.  You can use dynamic versions
of 'em, but they recommend the static shared libs, because they're
apparently faster.

-s