Subject: Re: Walnut Creek and BSDI merged
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/11/2000 02:04:05
In message <Pine.NEB.4.10.10003102154190.17832-100000@starwolf.com>, Greywolf w
rites:
>I think, this time, the worry isn't so much that we are verbally "excluded"
>per se as much as the letters BSD might be denied our use.

I'm pretty sure they won't, and honestly, I wouldn't give the company a
snowball's chance in hell of winning a hypothetical trademark suit.

>...but I will confess that it bugs me a bit that we (OpenBSD/NetBSD) are
>looked on as the bastards of the community when BSD, Inc. doesn't support
>half the platforms we do.

;-)

>I also have to wonder:  How did we miss out on this opportunity?

I think mostly marketshare and revenue.  That said, I'd expect that, if the
NetBSD folks *WANTED* to get in on the "merged system" idea, there'd be happy
feelings all around... I think the idea was to *start* by merging two systems
that were known to have a minimal degree of "but they were rude to us four
years ago".  :)

-s