Subject: Re: Walnut Creek and BSDI merged
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/10/2000 21:57:52
On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Peter Seebach wrote:

# In message <Pine.BSI.3.96.1000309175411.935C-100000@doit.pgh.net>, Matthew Orga
# ss writes:
# >[moved to advocacy]
#
# While I have to admit, it might be a lot of fun, I'd like to push people on
# both sides of this to try to resolve this *WITHOUT* getting into the endless
# ego contests that have historically marked the BSD "community".

I think, this time, the worry isn't so much that we are verbally "excluded"
per se as much as the letters BSD might be denied our use.  What then?
I'd hate to see us forced to frag off to be yet another *ix, *ux or turn
into something else completely.

...but I will confess that it bugs me a bit that we (OpenBSD/NetBSD) are
looked on as the bastards of the community when BSD, Inc. doesn't support
half the platforms we do.

I also have to wonder:  How did we miss out on this opportunity?

# I personally tend to agree that some of the wording in the press releases
# doesn't quite say what I think it should say, and I am inclined to believe
# that this is not an intentional slight.
#
# -s
#

				--*greywolf;
--
                 A _Real_ Operating System for _Real_ Hackers.

                 With many thanks to the core team and UCB CSRG.