Subject: fund raising ideas.
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/10/2000 14:31:23
www.paypal.com is an internet digital cash/cheque company, with
*extremely low* entry barriers (don't want your mothers maiden name
etc, no credit checks, on-line authorisation etc), that lets you
send an email address money. There are no account keeping or
transaction fees -- it makes money off the float (account interest),
and is backed by deutche bank and a couple of big VC firms.

Part of what paypay are doing with the VC money is handing out $10 account
signing bonuses, plus $10 referral fees. They are currently opening 15k
accounts a day, and have become the #1 method of payment on ebay.

This means we can start up a NetBSD, inc account and provide people with a
NetBSD referral URL, that will net us $10 for each sign up. NetBSD people
can then donate the remaining $10 (or more, if they would like to inject funds
into the account via cc/bank transfer), to NetBSD, just by telling paypal
to send the money to "payments@netbsd.org".

Even if only cvs developers did this, the funds raised would equal a new
server. The name is synth-fag, but I think the idea is excellent.

Cheers,
Julian.