Subject: Re: Walnut Creek and BSDI merged
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/09/2000 18:32:53
[moved to advocacy]

On 8 Mar 2000, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:
> > * No one outside the media is going to try to claim that "FreeBSD and BSD/OS
> >   are the two variants of BSD Unix" or anything stupid like that.
>
> BSDI apparently holds the "BSD" trademark, and they have in the past
> made noises about it.
[...]
> So, while that's a nice statement that you make above, I'll believe it
> when I see it.  There's still ill will left around for
> BSDI-the-company with some people from the last time they brought that
> up...

  The BSDI press release doesn't look good on this front.  It is titled
"BSD Suppliers Unite to Deliver the World's Most Popular Internet
Operating Systems."  The first paragraph reads:

Berkeley Software Design, Inc. (BSDI) announced today that it has merged
with Walnut Creek CDROM, the distributor of the popular FreeBSD operating
system. As a merged company, the new BSDI unites the leading developers
and suppliers of the Berkeley Software Distribution operating system. BSDI
will develop and deliver advanced BSD(R) Internet operating systems and
platforms, while providing the open source FreeBSD Project with
technology, backing and expanded support.

  They do not mention in the press release that other BSD systems exist.
Later they say "BSDI intends to form a united front for the BSD operating
systems."  So apparently BSD means BSDI and FreeBSD now.

  It might be helpful for TNF to put out a press release saying that it is
great that they are releasing source but that other BSD systems do exist
and will continue to exist.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net