Subject: Re: Anyone know of pre-installed NetBSD systems available?
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/14/2000 13:55:28
On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 08:36:29PM -0500, Allen Briggs wrote:
> [ re: Telenet ]
>
> I picked up a 4U case from them for a motherboard that I already had.
> I have been quite happy with their service, but I was dealing with
> people there (specifically, Bob Sidhu, Joe Giardina, Raj Chahal, and
> Billy Bath) and not the website (which, I agree, could use a _lot_ of
> work).
>
> -allen

I, also, have bought a few systems from Telenet lately.  They're OK, but
they had a problem with some of their 1U servers... I've bought 3 of
them so far, (one of the 2U ones as well), and two have showed up with a
bent case frame.  (Due to poor design, from what I can tell)  When I returned
the first one, they sent it back with the case hand-bent back into shape!

Since I (or rather one of my employees) yelled at them for that, we've since
been steered at a different 1U case which seems *much* better overall...
runs cooler, and is much better engineered overall.

I was having them preinstall NetBSD, but the default MB they ship with
uses the Realtek 8139 ethernet, so rather than trying to talk them
through "I want 1.4.2_ALPHA", I just let them ship it with whatever (usually
winds up being linux), and install 1.4.2_ALPHA myself.  (with serial
bootblocks, too!)

I will admit that one of the main reasons we started using them was because
they "support" NetBSD.

+j

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz