Subject: Re: no more seti for NetBSD...
To: None <Thiesi@I.am>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/14/2000 14:47:09
On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Mirko Thiesen wrote:

> Of course I would also like to see more native NetBSD software popping
> up (maybe even in the computer store next door? :-), but after all it
> isn't all that bad for us: As I said, I'm using the FreeBSD client, and
> at least until today it worked perfectly.

Yes, but they used to port to many of NetBSD's odd (and not so odd, like
sparc) architectures.  This was not only a much-appreciated compliment
from them, but great for publicity since SETI@Home has competitions or
something, don't they?  so NetBSD gets mentioned in the web tallys running
on all sorts of crazy architectures.

The point of running SETI@Home is not entirely that we want to do their
work for them. Part of the SETI@Home scheme is publicity in-exchange-for
computation.  They play with people's pride.  When you use the FreeBSD
client, do you show up in the tallys as a FreeBSD user?

Of course, if you do actually discover extra-terrestrial life, you will
make sure everyone knows it was done by a NetBSD/i386 system.  At that
point, everyone will be so, so interested that not only are we not alone
in the Universe, but there is another Unix-like operating system called
NetBSD!  How exciting!

In the mean time, whose butt to we have to kiss to get back into the web
tallys?

--
Miles Nordin / v:+1 720 841-8308 fax:+1 530 579-8680
555 Bryant Street PMB 182 / Palo Alto, CA 94301-1700 / US