Subject: Re: no more seti for NetBSD...
To: None <Thiesi@I.am>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/14/2000 22:18:05
On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 09:56:33PM +0100, Mirko Thiesen wrote:
> Thilo Manske wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 08:49:32AM -0600, Tracy J. Di Marco White wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not sure if they dropped support early or not, but my NetBSD clients
> > > (as well as my 'osf 4.0b' clients) haven't been able to get blocks all
> > > weekend, while my Windows clients and my spouse's Linux clients have
> > > been able to get blocks most of time.
>
> Hm, I think this is probably because their severs are quite busy as
> changing to 2.x clients is already underway and there are a whole lot of
> people who update their clients these days.
I've fetched four or five work units in the last two days without much
problems.

> > I get blocks, but the client can't process them until I remove the first
> > lines up to reply_header (or something like that, don' remember right now).
>
> This sounds weird, but I don't think it is related to NetBSD in any way,
No, it's not related to NetBSD, but it's related to the client:
They have changed the layout of work units.

Now they look like: (From a freshly fetched work unit)

^M (ASCII-Code 13)
status=0
major_version=0
minor_version=47
major_version_comment=
minor_version_comment=
message=
message_url=
quit=0
end_reply_header
type=work unit
task=seti
version=256
name=12oc99aa.13570.5745.479830.57
end_header

The 1.2 client can't process them and gives up with:

[...]
Receiving data: 320K
Receiving data: 330K
Receiving data: 340K
All data received.
Scanning data file
Error reading data: -23
Bad file header

I've compared a new work_unit with an old one that I luckily had (one
of my machines was still processing an old one wether another one just has
failed after fetching a new one). I noticed that the lines up to
end_reply_header where new so I removed them -> et voila: setiathome 1.2
liked it.

> because I'm using the FreeBSD client and it didn't seem to fetch any
> work units tonight either. I've been monitoring the fetch process on my
> Win98 box, and it took almost forever to connect to the SETI servers.
>
> > Looks like setiathome is only supporting the big names now...
>
> Of course I would also like to see more native NetBSD software popping
> up (maybe even in the computer store next door? :-), but after all it
> isn't all that bad for us: As I said, I'm using the FreeBSD client, and
> at least until today it worked perfectly.
Yes, if you don't mind doing something for the FreeBSD statistics this
is fine.

I'e tried a few linux and freebsd binaries before NetBSD versions were
available as well. (BTW: The linux versions were somewhat faster)
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.