Subject: Re: Better than..
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/10/2000 22:01:47
>> It's not a question of ideology, unless you call adhering to license
>> terms "ideology".  Go read the GPL - if we put any GPLed code in the
>> kernel, we either must (a) not distribute kernels or (b) GPL the
>> rest of the kernel.
> Or (c) distribute the rest of the kernel under terms that do not
> impose any restrictions not imposed by the GPL.

(a) That includes the viral part; put that on the kernel and I'm gone.

(b) Under version 2 of the GPL, which is the one I find in
/usr/src/gnu/dist/COPYING as of the source tree I'm working with,
that's not true.  Item 2b says "You must cause any work that you
distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived
from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no
charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.".  Nothing
about other licenses, whether less restrictive or more restrictive.
Interestingly, it does not include the clause about "or, at your
option, any later version"; presumably that goes in the copyright
notices on individual files, where appropriate.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca