Subject: Re: Supported Hardware Database for NetBSD. Contribute!
To: None <root@garbled.net>
From: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/01/2000 12:04:57
Tim,

   I have created a Supported Hardware Database for NetBSD.  The idea here is to
   eventually get a good listing of all the various cards, and onboard chip
   options of various machines that work with NetBSD.

Great!  I know this will be valuable for me at least when I'm tracking
down hardware to design a system around.

Two quick comments:

- Would it be useful to have some sort of guidelines for what the 1-10
  rating scale means?  Just so there is some sort of comparability
  among entries.

- I notice you have approximate prices.  Would it be useful to have a
  table of potential vendors people have found reliable, reasonable,
  etc.?  Not necessarily linked directly to the products (I don't
  think we want to represent that products are available specific
  places), though perhaps some indication of the range of products
  each carries would be useful.  Rather this table would provide
  suggestions of vendors for people to investigate themselves.  This
  might aid, for example, someone who has experience with one set of
  hardware, is interested in alternatives, but has not yet developed
  expertise in the set of vendors associated with the new target
  platform.  It might highlight the cross-platform nature of NetBSD.

Anyway, great job.  I can't wait 'til it's populated.

Cheers,
Brook