Subject: Re: IPv6 on your business card?
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/01/2000 10:12:32
"Aaron J. Grier" <agrier@poofygoof.com> writes:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 04:17:20PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> >
> > Aparently there are 20MB-CDs available, in business card format.
> > I wonder if we should whack together a IPv6 ready system? :)
> >
> > (See http://www.onvox.de/visiten-cdr.htm, it's a german language ad for
> > these CDRs)
>
> These things are not good for your CD-ROM drive, since they're
> inherently unbalanced.  The 3" CDs follow the ISO spec, won't strain
> your CD-ROM, and hold more (180MB)...

There are also issues, of course, with CD-ROM drives that are mounted
vertically, etc.

I wouldn't think the "not good for your CD-ROM drive" issue is all
that serious.  Things like this are meant mostly for quick demos,
etc., and are just a convenient form factor to get that demo across.
I don't think it's really expected that any of them will be used to
excess.

Also, these -- at least the ones i've seen -- have at least a
symmetrical (over a single line, though not a point as with the
completely round disks) weight distribution.  It's not like they're
completely unbalanced, or something.

cgd