Subject: Re: Why people know what FreeBSD and OpenBSD are, but not NetBSD.
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Bill Pechter <pechter@pechter.dyndns.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/06/1999 22:07:00
> When I mention NetBSD to people they have no idea what it is.  Why is
> this?  There are many reasons, and they're not simple ones, but here
> is what I think will help fix it.
>
> I've considered switching to other OSs recently, mostly because while
> NetBSD has many cool things, the other OSs pick them up quickly, while
> we sit behind on many basic things that I really want to use now, not
> in several years when closed-door projects finally release code, or
> worse work to stop open-door projects to do the work from starting.
> And then the closed-door ones never release a thing.
>
> --Michael

Interesting, I'm just coming over from FreeBSD because I've
had enough of some annoying stuff over there -- such as the dropping of
support for some of the less-popular (i.e. aged> hardware like AIC6xxx
based SCSI or NCR 8350 based SCSI...

Actually, the biggest problem in getting my stuff up on NetBSD seemed
to be getting the code on CDROM... but now that I've got the rom burner
at work and the ISO image is on line I'm set.

NetBSD needs a commercial vendor to sell CD's and the goal of a 6 or so
CDROM set with all the supported architectures, ports and packages.

I've got Sparcs, Macs, Intel-er AMD x86, and Vax and I'd love to see
twice yearly CD sets -- and I'd sign up for a regular distribution like
the FreeBSD subscription or my old subscription to BSDisc and Linux from
InfoMagic.

Perhaps Walnut Creek, InfoMagic or Cheapbytes could be approached?

Bill
---
  bpechter@shell.monmouth.com|pechter@pechter.dyndns.org
      Three things never anger: First, the one who runs your DEC,
      The one who does Field Service and the one who signs your check.