Subject: Re: Differences between FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/06/1999 17:03:18
Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de> writes:

> Well said. I've ran into a similar issue twice recently.
> Request:
>
> 	Could we please put up some page answering the question
> 	``What is the difference between FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD?''
> 	or, if that's too difficult, ``Why should I choose NetBSD over
> 	FreeBSD and OpenBSD?''
>
> I'm sure we all know the answers somewhere, but having a web page to point
> people to would be a real win. I'd be glad if someone could do this, I
> don't have time for it (still working on the "NetBSD in Action" page as
> my sparetime advocacy project).

Having a web page isn't enough though.  We can sit in our world and
say anything we like, but the masses simply do not know about us to
even ask that question in most cases.

I think NetBSD is at a crossroads, and indeed has been for some time
now.  We (that is, the users, the developers, board, and core) need to
decide if we want NetBSD to be used or to allow it to be constantly
overshadowed by latecomers to the game.

If we're serious about making a real, usable open operating system, we
need to get serious about it.  This means developers need to work on
things that aren't always fun.  This means we need a list of
reasonable goals from TNF, and TNF needs to work very very hard to get
funding so we can hire (at least part time) people to work on bits.
Or at the least buy people hardware so they can do some important bit.

--Michael