Subject: new front page
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Ethan Bakshy <ethan@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/24/1999 20:14:14
Hey, did anyone notice the new front page?

It looks neat, but I think it still looks sort of plain. As I get
geekier and geekier, I care less and less about appearances of web
pages, because I know that if your working on something real cool,
you're going to be working on that something, not the website. In this
case, its pretty true for NetBSD- the site is pretty plain. Complete,
yes, informative, yes, but pretty- I don't think so.

I think if we are to attract new people (not just people who are
already Sr. Computer Geeks,) we should try to make some more
asthetically pleasing propoganda. I think the first on our list for
advertising should be our site- it'll get people more interested.

I'm a pretty decent web designer myself (although I admit its pretty
dumb and mundane,) but I think it has to be done. I can also get my
friend to do some artwork and design for us- he is actually pretty good
@ drawing Chuck type daemons. Check out the Computer Society T-Shirt
design he did for us this year:
http://www.cs.nttc.org/about/index.html

Once again- I think our web site is excellent, and the organization is
very good, but when it comes to being flashy and stuff, we're not too
hot.

--
ethan@enteract.com