Subject: Re: mmmm... most..multi..platform...
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/22/1999 21:48:31
[BCCed to www@netbsd.org so they won't get flooded with followups.]

Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET> writes:

> So, multi-platformness is NetBSD's specialty and a wonderful testimony to
> the value of *BSD, but NetBSD is less secure than OpenBSD and less stable
> than FreeBSD.

Yah, I found that a bit off-putting too.

> Is that what we believe?  Is that what we want others to think?  Is that
> what we want to _say_?  Because, apparently, by remaining guardedly modest
> and harping on this multi-platform thing all the time, we're saying it.

http://www.mit.edu/afs/sipb.mit.edu/user/mycroft/artwork/what-is-netbsd.ps

That's the handout we used at Comdex.  Maybe we can work some of that
into the web site...

> [much elided]
>
> I think the reason some NetBSD advocates tout the number of architectures
> we run on is that it's a convenient shorthand for all this stuff i've been
> saying.

That's why I keep telling people these things.  That's why I go to
events like Comdex; to spread this word.  If only I got more support
from the peanut gallery, I could be 10x as effective...