Subject: Re: Chuck-on-a-card?
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/26/1999 18:40:24
In message <199909262335.TAA02650@ghost.whirlpool.com>, Andrew Gillham writes:
>How about some numbers?  Why a mastercard?  Will people/merchants think the
>cardholder has an unusual religion? :-)

Mastercard because MBNA does "affiliate" cards (e.g., my Gateway "Moola"
card), and they happen to be the ones doing the "Linux Fund" card I picked
up (mostly because I'm mad at Gateway.)

I have no idea what the numbers are like; I think it's probably .1% or so...

>"Sharing" certainly raises the question of how the funds would be allocated,
>which may result in a ratio based on the number of NetBSD "cardholders."

Perhaps - but it might be possible to convince everyone to just do 1/N splits,
rather than risk a flame war where we all get nothing.

>IMHO any plan needs to benefit NetBSD *more* than a competitor, whether a
>commercial competitor, or a friendly competitor.  Otherwise it just doesn't
>seem in NetBSD's best interests.

This is probably true.

-s